The article Why Should Schools Embrace Integrated Studies?: It Fosters a Way of Learning that Mimics Real Life gives us insight into the reasons why interdisciplinary studies are so beneficial.
In today’s day and age where the world is centered around the exchange of knowledge, those who excel are those who have studied multiple disciplines and who can smoothly and efficiently move between them. “Creativity, adaptability, critical reasoning, and collaboration are highly valued skills.” Integrated or interdisciplinary studies are a great way to foster these skills. Interdisciplinary studies help students become knowledgeable in many different subjects and help them understand the relationship of each area and its role in the world.
It helps students develop a more complete and detailed understanding of the multiplexity and interconnectedness of a given topic. Interdisciplinary studies also make a school more exciting and interesting because of the diverse studies for both the teachers and the students.
The Logic of Interdisciplinary Studies, a 1997 research report, “found broad consensus among dozens of researchers as to what the report called the ‘positive educational outcomes’ for students in an integrated- studies program:
- Increased understanding, retention, and application of general concepts.
- Better overall comprehension of global interdependencies, along with the development of multiple perspectives and points of view, as well as values.
- Increased ability to make decisions, think critically and creatively, and synthesize knowledge beyond the disciplines.
- Enhanced ability to identify, assess, and transfer significant information needed for solving novel problems.
- Promotion of cooperative learning and a better attitude toward oneself as a learner and as a meaningful member of a community.
- Increased motivation.”
Although integrated studies have been around for almost a century, certain success practitioners have given it newfound popularity and affirmation from people. In the end, we experience life in a truly integrated and interdisciplinary manner.