From using the Academic Exploration Program students will be able to learn more about various majors on campus. However, it may be difficult for some to determine which major best suits them. Choosing a major is important because it will allow you to enjoy college, as well as give you career options for your post graduate years. An article titled, “The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Major,” advises students to do this so that they can find the best major of their choice. Here are a few tips that will help you along the way.
- Ask yourself ” what do you like?” Write a list of a least 10 things you love, and go over it after you are done. After, make another list of your strengths and weaknesses so that you have a general idea of what you are good and bad at. Something than can help with this is going to our carer center. You will be given a strengths assessment test that helps you discover these things.
- What are your career goals? This has to do with what you see yourself doing once you graduate college. Do you have a specific carer goal? If so, it is important to know what degree you will need for that filed of study.
- Talk to your advisers and professors. Once you make it to this step you should be asking questions such as ” is this something I see myself doing after college?” Both your advisers and professors will have known you well enough to help you figure out these questions. However, it is ultimately up to you to decide the end goal of your major selection.
Our Academic Exploration Program helps with some of these things as well. Here is a list to name a few:
- The Faculty Lunch Program
- Classroom Visitation Program
- Alumni Mentoring and Internships
- Exploratory Social Events
- College Fairs
Go to the article “The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Major” in order to see more details on tips and ways to help select a field of study.